Born in 1985 in Paris, France, Prune Nourry is a multi-disciplinary artist based at the Invisible Dog Art Center, Brooklyn, NY.
She draws her inspiration from the issues of human definition and human selection. With a degree in wood sculpture from Ecole Boulle in Paris, Nourry explores bioethics through sculpture as well as video, photography, and performance. Her work focuses on how artificial procreation leads us towards an artificial evolution of mankind and its consequences.
Nourished by in-depth research and largely influenced by anthropology, she has created a triptych focusing on gender preference. This triptych started in India with the projects Holy Daughters (2009) and Holy River (2011). The third part, Terracotta Daughters, a life-size army Prune made in Xi'an, China, travelled the world in 2014 before being buried this year as a "contemporary archeological site".
Selected Exhibitions and Performances
- Holy, Carte Blanche à Prune Nourry, Solo Show, Musée National des Arts Asiatiques - Guimet, Paris, France, April 19th - September 18th
- Contemporary Archeology, Solo Show, Daniel Templon Gallery, Brussels, Belgium, January 12th - March 4th
- Terracotta Daughters, The Earth Ceremony, burial of the Terracotta Daughters' army, mainland China, October 17th 2015
- Terracotta Daughters & Imbalance, Asia Now, Paris Asian Art Fair, Espace Pierre Cardin, Paris, France, October 20th - 22nd 2015
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo Show, Simon Studer Art, Geneva, Switzerland, November 4th - December 18th 2015
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo Show, curated by Tatyana Franck, Museo Diego Rivera Anahuacalli, Mexico City, November 2014
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo Show in collaboration with the French Institute Alliance Francaise (FIAF) for Crossing The Line Festival, with the support of No Longer Empty, China Institute, New York, September 2014
- Site-specific installation Imbalance, Rio Grande 179A Grand st. Chinatown, NYC, Sept 13 - Oct 4 2014
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo Show, curated by Tatyana Franck, Flux Laboratory, Zurich, Switzerland, June 2014
- The Archeological Dinner, Performance in collaboration with Michelin Star Chef Jean Francois Piege, Le Centquatre, Paris, France - May 26th and 27th
- Girls, Collective Show curated by Pharrell Williams at Galerie Perrotin, Paris, France, May 2014
- La Part Animale, Collective Show curated by Tatyana Franck at Galerie Sophie Scheidecker, Paris, France, May 2014
- Terracotta Daughters, Avec Motifs Apparents, Collective Show curated by José Manuel Gonçalvè at Le CentQuatre, Paris, France, March 2014
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo Show, Magda Danysz Gallery, Paris, France, March 2014
- Terracotta Daughters, Solo show, Magda Danysz Gallery, Shanghai, Chine
- Genesis, Solo Show, Casino Venier, Venice, Italy
- At Home, Group Show, Contemporary Art Center, Malaga, Spain
- Holy Daughters, Solo Show curated by Tatyana Franck at Flux Laboratory, Geneva, Switzerland
- Holy Daughters, Solo Show at Galerie Henrik Springmann, Berlin, Germany
- Holy River, Performance in collaboration with the Calcutta Arts Club, Kolkata, India
- Spermbar, Installation and Performance on 5th Ave, commissioned by the French Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) for Crossing the Line Festival, New York, USA
- Holy Daughters, Video projection, Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- Holy Daughters, Group Show, Polka Gallery, Paris, France
- Holy Daughters, Art Paris Art Fair at Grand Palais, Polka Gallery, Paris, France
- Holy Daughters, Solo show, curated by Tatyana Franck, Paris, France
- Holy Daughters, Performance, New Delhi, India
- Le Dîner Procréatif, Performance and Solo Show, l’Espace « R », Geneva, Switzerland
- Le Dîner Procréatif, Performance, the Laboratory Studio, Paris, France
- Gimme More, Group show, Elaine Levy Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- Les Bébés Domestiques, Group show, KJBi Art Space, Brussels, Belgium
- Les Bébés Domestiques, Performance, Tokyo, Japan
- Les Bébés Domestiques, Art Brussels art fair, Elaine Levy Gallery, Brussels, Belgium. Publication of a book in limited edition
- Adoption Day #2, Performance in collaboration with Elaine Levy Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- Les Bébés Domestiques, Installation, Max Lang Gallery, New York, USA
- Adoption Day #1, Performance, in collaboration with Jaguar Shoes Gallery, London, England
- Group show, Biennal of Issy, Carte à Jouer Museum, Issy-les Moulineaux, France
- L’Animalerie, site-specific installation, reconstitution of animal house, Quai de la Mégisserie, Paris, France
- Wooster on Spring , Group Show, New York, USA
- Aux Arts Citoyens, Group Show, Espace des Blancs Manteaux, Paris, France
- Group show, Galerie « M », Paris, France
- Toit et Moi, two-person exhibition with the artist JR, La Loge Gallery, Paris, France
Conferences and Lectures
- Mapping Memory, Keynote Address, CUNY University The Graduate Center, New York City - March 11th
- Preparing Tomorrow Today – designing a museum for the future, Conference hosted at Aurora Museum with Tatyana Franck (Director of the Musée de l'Elysée in Lausanne), Shanghai China – March 20th
- Visiting Artist Lecture, Suny New Platz, New York City - Nov 12th
- Art et Societe: L’Imaginaire Peut-il Influer sur la Realite?, Conference hosted at Le Centquatre with Sophie Makariou (Directeur of Musee Guimet), Christophe Guilmoto (Socilogist) and Magda Danysz (Galerist), Paris - May 25th
- French Institute, New York : Discussion with Chien Chung (Didi) Pei, Chair of the Board of Trustees of China Institute
- India Habitat Center, New Delhi. Conference Holy Daughters, with the sociologist Ravinder Kaur, moderated by Alka Pande, art adviser and curator.
- The Emergence of Contemporary Indian Art, Musée du Quai Branly, Paris. Moderated by Christine Ithurbide, a researcher in contemporary art.
- Interview, Science Po, Paris. Moderated by Malvika Maheshwari, Professor.
- Auditorium of the Louvre, Paris. Moderated by Sonia Brunel, speaker of National Museums.
- How we draw the borderline between humans and animals: Challenging art experiments with hybrid pet babies, University of Tokyo. Moderated by Noriko Nijiima, sociologist.
- Interview, Science Po, Paris. Moderated by Gerard Rodach, Professor.
- Ecole Boulle, Paris, specialized in wood sculpture. Graduated with honors and the AEEB prize.